What we offer
- We’ll teach the first step in leaning how to blog: How to get an easy-to-remember domain name such as petersblog.space.
- We’ll show you how to set up your WordPress blog.
- We’ll show you a few tricks about using WordPress
- Then we’ll teach you how to blog.
- If you need help with copywriting, layout, etc., we can help with that.
- Lessons are in Kelowna.
- Affordable (We charge $37/hour (CAD).)
- Fill in the form at the bottom of this page to help us get to know you and your objectives.
Why should someone in a small business know how to blog?
- People want the latest information about your products, services, special sales, etc.
- You have one more connection to your website that someone will find when searching for information. (Make giving information your primary focus and selling as a secondary focus. Don’t offend people by having your promotion get in the way of finding their information.)
- If you know how to blog, you can get new information in front of people quickly.
- It keeps your brand in front of people.
- It’s simply good marketing.
How should a small business blog?
You started your small business. Therefore you can assume that you know lots more about your industry than lots of people. And those people want to know more. They are hungry for information. So, feed them.
- Share the new things you are learning regularly.
- You may even become known as an expert in your field.
- When people come to your website, an awareness of your business will be reinforced.
- Your brand will be strong in their minds.
- They may even share your information with their friends.
- Use a free WordPress plugin such as Yoast SEO. Search engine optimize EVERY blog post. That will help you rank higher with the search engines.
- Consider having a Google Map at the bottom of every blog post.
What’s your passion?
Blogging is easy if are passionate about the subject. That’s what the “how to blog” websites will tell you. So, find something that you are passionate about and blog away.
8 business blogging tips
1. Know your target audience
Do not try to be all things to all people. Write to the people who likely have the same passion about the topic that you do.
2. Look at other blogs
Look at the blogs of similar subject matter. Change the best ideas to be your own. Add a little bit of your own knowledge & wisdom.
The idea of “be your own” is important. It is best if you would develop your own style. You want to sound like yourself.
3. Use your story to brand yourself
Think of your blog as a type of social media. When people socialize, they don’t want to feel like they’re being sold to. So, tell your story in a way that will be interesting to your readers.
Publicize what you stand for by telling your story. They want to know the real you. Don’t try too hard to present pure perfection.
4. Great profile picture
Use a picture of yourself that comes across as trustworthy & friendly.
5. Use that profile picture in your social media
Spend some time and go into each of your social media accounts. Add that picture. Be conscious of your personal branding while you are posting in the various social media.
6. Pictures that tell a story
Remember the old saying about a picture being worth a thousand words. Try to get lots of ideas across with visually-appealing photos.
You may want to go to bit.ly/nocostimages. That will get you to a company called Dreamstime. They have tens of millions of pictures. Simply type in a few key words and you will find lots of pictures relating to those key words.
Many pictures are free. The higher quality pictures cost a bit. They are sold by so many points for a picture. Buy enough points to pay for a picture. You will have some points left over. You can use them as part payment of your next high-quality picture.
Dreamstime also sells a number of very short, artistic videos. You can use them in your animated GIFs like this Web Design sample. You can also use them for branding yourself in your YouTube videos.
7. Original content
Create ORIGINAL content — your brand, your products and you.
8. Blogging & social media
Start with one social media, get good at it and then go onto the next one. You may want to start by making a Facebook page. Whenever you are blogging, link to the post from that Facebook page.
We can help you set up your Facebook page & other social media accounts.
Next you may work with Twitter. Every post should have a photo or an animated GIF. Use Photoshop or GIMP to make sure every photo is exactly twice as wide as it is high. Otherwise part of your picture will be cropped. Every tweet should be linked to a blog post or something on your website.
Instagram is a place for eye-catching photos. It is simple if you upload from your mobile device. If you want to upload from your desktop or laptop, use an app such as Uplet. (Uplet works only with a Mac.)
Link from your Instagram comment to your website. In the second comment window, try to add at least eleven hashtags to help people find you.
Have a compelling LinkedIn profile. Write compelling articles and have a link to your website at the bottom of each one. See examples.
Where do I go for private tutoring?
After you book an appointment, go to 2020 Keller Place.
Contact us to get started
Please do not phone to begin with. I may be busy teaching someone. Fill in the form below. In the message include your phone number & a brief description of what you are trying to accomplish. I will get back to you as soon as it is reasonable to do so.