Powering the Internet
As of 2020, 31% of the most popular one million websites on the Internet were powered by WordPress. Every day 500 new WordPress websites are created. You must install WordPress.
Install WordPress, getting started
If you have not done so yet, go to LiquidNet Ltd Hosting and start your free trial of the Starter plan. (That’s the plan that costs $35 USD/year.)
Log into your new account. CAREFULLY follow the steps below:
- Click Installer > Applications Installer
- From the list of applications, click on WordPress
- You want to delete “wordpress” after domain name
- Make sure slash (/) stays.
- In the Dashboard, click Settings > General
- Delete “wordpress” after domain name
- Fill in the Site Title, Tagline, etc. & click Save Changes
- (For the website you are on right now, both the WordPress address & site address are http://kelownavirtualassistant.com)
- Using Settings > Reading, make sure front page is set as a static page & Front Page box says Home
- Click Save Changes
- Using Settings > Permalinks, change common settings to Post Name
- Save Changes
- Using Users > All Users, change the Admin user name to increase security
- Create horizontal menu (see section below)
Install WordPress horizontal menu
To install WordPress horizontal menus now, you will have a very small menu. That’s okay. As you make more posts & pages, you will be expanding your menu.
That begs the question: What’s the difference between a page & a post.
Difference between a page & a post
When you click New at the top of WordPress, you must decide if you will create a post or a page.
- Every blog entry should be a post
- Entries are listed in reverse chronological order
- Select categories for them
- Then people can find each post on a particular topic
- Pages are static
- Listed by date
- Do not use categories
- Now click on Blog in horizontal menu of this website
- You see a page with a list of posts in alphabetical order
- Read about how to start a blog
Creating the menu
- In WordPress dashboard click Appearance > Menus
- Scroll down and check pages you want in menu.
- If you want any posts, scroll down & click on Posts. (Remember that your posts should be in an index on a page with a title such as Blog.)
After menu is created
Click on Blog at top of this page. That gives you an alphabetical list of all blog POSTS that have been created to date.
Create a new PAGE. Enter link to each POST on that page. Every time you write a new blog post, add it to the Blog page.
That page will be added to the menu as a PAGE.
The video below is just over 2 minutes long. Watch it to get a better idea of what this blog post is all about.