Use social media icons to help brand yourself
Adding social media icons to the bottom of your blog posts is an excellent marketing tool. It improves your search engine optimization (SEO). It gets people more involved with your brand.
It’s easy to set up those icons. Just use the Ultimate Social Media WordPress plugin.
Note that this plugin has over 100 thousand installs and a 5-star rating.
Some of the features
- Ultimate Social Media let’s you add share icons for RSS, Email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube, ‘Share’ (covering 200+ other social media platforms) and upload custom share icons of your choice.
- Give several actions to one icon (e.g. your facebook share icon can lead visitors to your Facebook page and also give visitors the opportunity to like your page).
- Allow visitors to subscribe to your blog by Email.
- Decide to display a pop-up (on all or only on selected pages) asking people to follow/share you via your social media icons.
How to set up the plugin
- In the WordPress dashboard click on Plugins > Add New.
- Search for and select Ultimate Social Media
- Then click Install Now > Activate
- Click on Settings
- You will see the 7 questions below. Answer them.
- Click the green Save All Settings button
- After you have saved everything, click on Appearance > Widgets in the WordPress dashboard.
- Drag & drop Ultimate Social Subscribe Form and also Ultimate Social Media Icons from left-hand columns to the Content Bottom 1 widget area.
You may be wondering about the RSS icon. Their forum had a post that said, “Clicking on the RSS icons returns funny codes.” Someone on the forum responded with: That’s normal. RSS users will know what to do with it (i.e. copy & paste the url into their RSS readers).
I did not trust that post. So, I posted a similar question and got this response: That’s perfectly fine and normal, RSS users know what to do with it.
Display the icons
To display the icons, I added this shortcode to the bottom of each blog post (in Visual view): DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS . Note that the shortcode must be in square brackets as the image here shows.
If things don’t work…
My social media icons did not show up at first. So, I went to the FAQ page and found a question about plugin not loading.
It said that the Ultimate Social Media WordPress plugin can conflict with other plugins including Adblock Plus. I removed Adblock Plus and everything worked perfectly.
So, if Ultimate Social Media does not work for you right away, go to the FAQ page first.